Category Archives: Uncategorized
Black Friday Sale! FREE Light & Sunflare Overlays w/ purchase and 25% OFF storewide!
Use CODE: GIFT25
SHOP Florabella Actions
WINNER: Jamie Howe… congrats!
We vacation at the beach every summer… this year, I wanted my kids to have more than just photos to remember it by. I’m not a videographer and don’t proclaim to be any sort of expert, but I’m very proud of this video for one reason: it makes all of us smile. My kids laugh and sing along as they watch, and I know they’ll enjoy it even more throughout the years.
The video was pretty easy to shoot… I used my Nikon D800 with the 50mm 1.4G lens (the only lens I brought to the beach). I handheld it most of the time- my brother is a producer of a reality TV show and told me that “dirty video” is really in right now (lol), so I didn’t worry about shake. After All, many times I was laughing too hard to hold the camera super steady. Then I used Adobe Premiere Pro to edit. From start to finish, this video took me one week to make.
A few personal notes about the video:
1. The very first part was the first footage I took. It was important to keep this part because it was my kids’ first moments running out to the beach and they were so excited. You can hear Sasha scream, “Freedom!!” lol!
2. Most of the footage was authentic and unstaged. There were a few exceptions… for example, there is one part where Sophie opens the blinds (love that part). I was lying in bed and she opened the blinds to see the beach. I noticed the gorgeous light, grabbed my camera and asked her to do it again. I’m glad I did that, because Sophie ended up doing that each morning
3. The first draft of the video included only clips of the kids. Then I realized that I’d likely regret that one day, and that it was important for my husband and I to be in the video too. I know my kids will cherish having video footage of us one day. So special thanks to my mom and my husband for filming those parts.
4. There is a clip with Sasha in a pink dress on the beach. I kept the sound because what she said was so cute, “Who’s photographing me? Ohhhh It’s my MOM!!”
5. I also left the sound in the clip of the kids goofing around inside. You can hear me laughing at the end. I want my kids to know how much they made me laugh…
6. Special thanks to Colbie Caillat for allowing me to license “Brighter than the Sun” which was the perfect song for this video.
7. My VERY favorite part of the entire video is the part with Sophie holding the shell, and when I pan up to her happy proud face, the lyrics are, ” ’cause your so damn beautiful”. We were looking for two things on the beach: shells/rocks shaped like hearts, and shells with holes so we could make necklaces. Sophie actually found this shell with a heart shaped hole! I cry every time during this part of the video. (If you have a favorite part, I’d love to know what it is… )
I don’t accept comments on this blog, but I’m happy to answer questions if you leave one in a comment on the post about the video on the Florabella Facebook page. Again, I’m not an expert and still learning, but I’m happy to share about my experience making this video because it was so rewarding (I’d challenge everyone to make one this summer – you won’t regret it)! Since the point is to make something fun and special, it really doesn’t matter what you shoot it with… in fact, I think I’ll try using my iPhone for my next video. And you can even edit it using iMovie on your iPad. The point is, to just do it.
So here it is….
I couldn’t resist photographing her as she slept yesterday morning… she always looks like an angel to me.
The new Florabella Hazy Skies set includes 18 Photoshop Actions, 2 Cloud Overlays, and 3 Vintage Textures. Highlights from the set are fun Lens Blur Baby action, a Quick Reflector action, and the Sunflare and Haze photoshop actions. Enhance your skies with color, or use the Cloud Overlays and Vintage Textures to add interest or create a nostalgic feel. Compatible with Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 and Photoshop Elements (PSE) 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Visit Florabella Collection for more examples, details and to purchase Florabella Hazy Skies and/or the new Florabella Classic Workflow Photoshop Actions set.
Sign up for the newsletter & get product release discount codes, etc.!
Please sign up for the Florabella Newsletter (if you haven’t already)… All previous customers should be signed up already.. but if you changed your email address or haven’t received it in the past, please sign up here. There will be a newsletter & new product info (wink wink) coming out later today!
*”Before” image processed with B/W Mink from Florabella Luxe Photoshop actions… Then “Vintage Screen” Texture from Set II on Overlay at 50%, then the desaturated version on Multiply at 20%. I used MCP’s free Texture Application Action to apply the texture and remove the texture from skin areas. Download the free action here.
I was thrilled when the lovely and talented Tristian of Gracylu Originals asked if I’d shoot part of her gorgeous fall line. Gracylu features beautiful heirloom quality and custom headpieces and accessories. Of course, I love them on my daughters and little models, but you should also see her bridal collections (they’re exquisite)! Tristian’s web designer is almost finished with her new boutique site, but you can still submit orders using her order form… (and don’t forget to look for her 10% discount for professional photographers)! You’ll love having Gracylu originals in your collection (and your clients will love them too)… they are truly unique and especially beautiful! I’ll be posting lots more soon!
Help me name this action from the soon to be released Florabella “Luxe” set! The winner will be the 1st person to mention best name by Saturday at midnight PST and will win the new Luxe Photoshop Actions! (not yet ready for PSE, but PSE users may enter and choose a different set). Leave your comment here and on the Florabella Facebook Page (the name must go nicely with the others: Pandora, Ruby, Glam, Heiress, Velvet, Sapphire, Cashmere, Starlet, Ambrosia, London, & B/W Mink). Can’t wait to see all the pretty names! (*my testers & reviewers may enter and win them for a friend or giveaway)
And the winning name is “Gypsy”!!! First mentioned by Jennifer Johnston Taranto (on FB) and Sarah Wolfe (on the blog)…. so you both win the new “Luxe” actions. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org… Thanks for participating and for all the beautiful name suggestions (many of which are already Florabella Action or Texture names… so you know I love them)! Don’t forget to check back here tomorrow for an exciting giveaway (double exciting giveaway… Florabella and a big surprise)!!
This gorgeous photo by the exceptionally talented Mikabeth Edwards was chosen as a finalist in the Matilda Jane PhotoLove Contest. Not only is Mikabeth one of my very favorite photographers, but she used Florabella Milk & Honey II here (and I love that!)… The contest ends tomorrow, so go vote now! It’s super easy… just click on the photo and “add it to your bag” to cast your vote. Oh, and when you hit Submit, a confirmation page appears asking you to double check everything. You must hit Submit one more time on this page for your vote to count.
Then, come back here and leave a comment on this blog post to be automatically entered to win either all three sets of Florabella Actions or Florabella Textures Set II (released next month)! And if you Twitter or Facebook with a link to this post, you can leave a 2nd comment to have a double chance of winning. I will use Random.org to choose a winner on Thursday!